I had the opportunity to visit a client's elementary class for The Great American Teach In. In hopes of engaging the students, I took them through a practical organizing demonstration; cleaning out their desks.
You can do the same thing at home!
Have your student;
1. Gather all loose papers in the desk & place on top the desk.
2. Recycle the papers they no longer need.
3. Create appropriate folders by subject. (Try using a label maker, the children loved testing it out.)
4. Have your student identify and take out all the markers, pens & pencils. Get a gallon size plastic bag or pencil pouch to store them.
5. Last have them put back all items neatly in the desk.
It was fun to see the satisfaction the students took in their work!